Before The Development
The Ritz had had been an eyesore in the Geelong CBD for decades. The building, which was at the intersection of Corio Street and Bellarine Street, had been vacant for forty years.
We continued to get photos despite the lack of changes. We got photos in September 2015. In August, 2017, the exterior of the building had been painted white. We got photos of the graffiti and how rundown the building was in August, 2018.
During The Development
Work finally started in July, 2019. Scaffolding went up around the facade and there was equipment on the site. Demolition had started by July 26. By August 1, the facade was all that remained. I got closer views of the facade on August 4.
On August 16, more scaffolding had gone up and a crane was on the site.
Excavation started around October. I got photos early in the month showing a piling rig at the site.
I need help explaining anything that is going on with the following:
- The Ritz Development: October 16
- Ritz Construction: December 4 2019.
- The Ritz Construction: December 23 2019
- The Ritz Construction: January 27 2020
- Ritz Redevelopment: February/March 2020
- Ritz Redevelopment: March 31 2020
- Ritz Redevelopment: May 2020
- Ritz Redevelopment: August 2020
By October, the scaffolding had come down. The facade of the original building looked pretty impressive.
- Ritz Redevelopment: October 2020
- Ritz Redevelopment: November 2020
- The Ritz Development Is Nearly Completed
- The Ritz Hotel makeover approved
- Developers turn from banks to secure funds for Geelong’s Ritz project
- The Ritz Geelong owners seek operator for 4.5-star apartment hotel
- Demolition starts on the Ritz as Geelong apartment hotel project kicks off